Maple Mousse with Fresh Berries

   
This coming week all of North America will be celebrating with Canada Day (July 1st) and the 4th of July!  Family gatherings, picnics and fireworks! What better way to celebrate than with Maple Mousse and Fresh Berries! A colourful dessert made with pure maple syrup. So light and creamy, and the maple flavour tastes marvellous with wonderful fresh berries!  
 Maple Syrup, the sap collected from maple trees, is solely a North American product.  The right type of maple trees and the necessary climate are found only in eastern Canada and north eastern United States.  Canada is responsible for 80% of the world production and the US for the remaining 20%.
Pure maple syrup not only tastes amazing it's glycemic load is 54 which is less than table sugar at 65 and honey at 58.  With the added benefits of antioxidants, B vitamins and minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc maple syrup is a good sweetener to use in moderation.
 

Maple Mousse

  • 1 package of unflavoured gelatine(1 Tbsp.)
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup pure maple syrup 
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp. maple extract
  • 2 cups chilled whipping cream 
In a small bowl combine gelatine and 1/4 cup cold water, set aside to soften.  In the top of a double boiler over boiling water combine egg yolks, maple syrup, 1/4 cup water and maple extract (I use "Club House" brand and I called the company to make sure it is gluten free). Whisk constantly for 5-7 minutes until mixture is slightly thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in gelatine.  Using an electric mixer, beat mixture for a minute until it is well combined.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes then beat for another minute to remove any lumps.  Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form then fold in maple mixture.  Divide among 6 or 8 glasses.  Cover and chill until set (2 hours).  Can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours.  Serve with fresh berries.


Maple Mousse with Fresh Berries was featured on Allergy Free Thursdays

1 comment

Elle Kirschenbaum said...

This looks so amazing I featured it tonight on Allergy-Free Thursdays. Can't wait to see what you share this week!