There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter day, and if it's chicken soup that's even better! It warms you from the inside out! I like mine with lots of vegetables, big chunks of chicken and the extra nutrition of quinoa. I have tried many different recipes for chicken soup and they all seemed to be missing something, they were just a bit too bland. I knew there must be some spice that would make my chicken soup extra yummy. I finally tried it with oregano and just a bit of garlic, and I love it!
Instead of the traditional chicken and rice soup we have switched to quinoa. After some debate, we did finally learn how to pronounce it, "keen-wah". It is a great addition to a gluten free diet, gone are the days when celiacs were limited to rice!
Five fun facts about quinoa:
- Rather than a true cereal, quinoa is known as a pseudo cereal, and is closely related to beets and spinach.
- First cultivated by the Incas, up to 4,000 years ago, quinoa was known as " the mother of all grains" and was considered sacred.
- Quinoa comes in many different colours including white, red and black.
- Quinoa is a complete protein and high in iron, magnesium, and antioxidants.
- The glycemic index of quinoa is 53 , which is considered low and is great for keeping blood sugar levels even.
Chicken Quinoa Soup
- 1 lb. chicken parts, bone in
- 12 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. oregano